This article is over 8 years old

Justin Williams says he hasn’t had very ‘in-depth discussions’ with Capitals yet

Justin Williams poses for a photo for RMNB

On Monday, TSN’s Darren Dreger said that unrestricted free agent Justin Williams would meet with the Capitals later in the week to talk about an extension. Dreger framed Williams’ chances of returning to the team as 50/50.

Two days later, Williams, while golfing at the Quicken Loans Pro-Am at TPC Potomac, revealed that the Capitals and he “haven’t had very in-depth discussions.”

“I really can’t give a number on what percentage I’m here staying, what percentage I’m leaving,” Williams said to CSN Mid-Atlantic’s Jill Sorenson. “I’m not sure. We haven’t had very in-depth discussions with Washington so far, so we’ll see.”

Williams has supposedly met with the Capitals multiple times in the offseason already and has professed a desire to stay. The three-time Stanley Cup champion scored 24 goals last season — the most tallies he’s netted since 2006-07 — and will be one of the top unrestricted free agents on the market. GM Brian MacLellan stated during the offseason that the Capitals would likely only bring back one of their top four UFAs and TJ Oshie signed an eight-year extension last Friday.

Unless the Capitals get creative, there just may not be room under the salary cap to keep the veteran forward in the fold.

Williams also told Sorenson that his status “will be all clear in the next few days.”

P.S. – He appears to be a fantastic golf player too.

RMNB is not associated with the Washington Capitals; Monumental Sports, the NHLPA, the NHL, or its properties. Not even a little bit.

All original content on russianmachineneverbreaks.com is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International – unless otherwise stated or superseded by another license. You are free to share, copy, and remix this content so long as it is attributed, done for noncommercial purposes, and done so under a license similar to this one.

zamboni logo