Rasmus Sandin did not play Tuesday night against the Detroit Red Wings, but Capitals fans received more information on the blueliner’s injury.
ESPN play-by-play announcer Mike Monaco reported during the broadcast that Sandin had suffered a head injury when he went down against the Ottawa Senators on Sunday.
Monaco’s comments came soon after puck drop Tuesday night.
“No Rasmus Sandin for Washington,” he said. “Top-four defenseman suffered a head injury last time out for the Caps on Sunday, so they shuffle things on the back end for Spencer Carbery.”
After taking a hit from the boards from Sens forward Parker Kelly late in the first period, Sandin did not play for the remainder of the 3-2 overtime loss to Ottawa. The Capitals originally labelled Sandin’s ailment as an upper-body injury.
Capitals head coach Spencer Carbery told reporters Sunday night that Sandin would “miss some time.” He provided another injury update after practice on Monday, confirming that Sandin would miss at least two games and may not return before the end of the regular season.
“Possible, but we’ll see,” Carbery said then. “Definitely not on the road trip, not traveling. It’s getting limited. Once we get back [there aren’t many games left].”
In Sandin’s absence, Vincent Iorio drew into the lineup for the second time this season, playing on the third pairing opposite Trevor van Riemsdyk. The Capitals also recalled Lucas Johansen to serve as the extra defender.
Sandin previously missed eight games in January with an upper-body injury. His only other absence came on March 30 thanks to a lower-body injury.
With their playoff futures hanging in the balance, the Capitals will play just four more regular-season games after Tuesday. They currently sit one point behind Detroit for the second Eastern Conference wild-card spot.