If you clicked that link, you may have noticed that the job listing isn’t there anymore. Within ten minutes of Matt’s tweet, the listing vanished. No worries, we’ve got it below.
(The full text is at the bottom of this story.)
The position is– or was– fascinating. It’s a number-cruncher job responsible for regularly briefing the operations staff. There’s a line in the posting about internal and presumably proprietary team statistics, which is neat. The person would consult in player transactions and negotiations, there’s tactical analysis and video work, and there’s an odd mention of George Mason’s facility at EagleBank Arena.
But we assume the Caps are not hiring an analyst. At least not right now. Last year, the Caps announced the hiring of Tim “Vic Ferrari” Barnes as an analytics consultant. That’s been a purely behind-the-scenes job; we haven’t heard a peep from him or about him since October. Barnes’ current status is unclear. He’s never been listed on the Caps’ front office page (unlike in Toronto, where Cam Charron and Daryl Metcalf appear under Management), though I wouldn’t consider either of those sources to be definitive. But the job listing mentions a job title that I wasn’t aware existed in the Caps organization: Director of Hockey Analytics.
We don’t know who that is. Is it Barnes? Is it someone new?
Anyway, our condolences if Analyst for the Washington Capitals was your dream job, you spreadsheet-loving dweeb. Perhaps you might be interested in the still-available position of Social Media Coordinator/RMNB arch-nemesis (big ups to JP for sharing that one, btw).
Full text of the job listing:
Analyst, Hockey Operations
Full Time, Washington Capitals
Monumental Sports & Entertainment owns and operates three professional sports teams: the NBA’s Washington Wizards, the NHL’s Washington Capitals, and the WNBA’s Washington Mystics. Monumental, which merged Lincoln Holdings and Washington Sports & Entertainment on June 10, 2010, also owns and operates Verizon Center, the premier sports and entertainment venue in Washington, D.C. Additionally, the group operates Kettler Capitals Iceplex, the Capitals’ state-of-the-art training facility in Arlington, Va., and George Mason University’s EagleBank Arena, located in Fairfax, Va.
Overview: This position will provide support to both hockey operations and NHL coaching staff focusing on analytics and video.
- Produce regular reports focusing on the analysis and evaluation of the Washington Capitals players and team from a statistical standpoint.
Conduct research and programming under the direction of the Director of Hockey Analytics.
- Review, analyze and compile various internal and external statistical reports and regularly distribute a summary to hockey operations staff and coaches.
- Use statistics and analytics to evaluate players for the purposes of player acquisition, waivers, free agency, etc.
- Work with Director of Hockey Analytics and Video Coach in regards to internal statistics and tracking data.
- Provide general support to the hockey operations department during the offseason.
- Use statistics, video and game data to assist the coaching staff with review, game preparation and analysis of Capitals players and their opponents.
- Create and maintain information sheets for video boards at Kettler and Verizon Center.
- Manage post-game reports for penalties, game segments, line matches by chances and adjustment reports.
- Compile both pre-scout and post game PP and PK reports at the direction of asst. coaches.
- Breakdown and compile all video for goaltending coach in terms of opposition shooter and goalie pre-scout and NHL shootouts.
- Aid in pre-scout systems breakdown for both standard video and 2nd overhead feed.
- Film and organize practice database for coach review and player meeting.
- Manage season long player evaluations for forwards and defensemen.
- Formulate and manage various statistical reports, databases and information for dissemination throughout the hockey department.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Knowledge of and interest in the NHL.
- Previous experience in professional or collegiate sports preferred.
- Strong professional ethics and sensitivity in dealing with confidential information.
- Ability to multi-task and manage business relationships in a professional and confidential manner.
- Basic programming skills.
- Organized, thorough, and detail-oriented
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management and interpersonal skills.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
Russian Machine Never Breaks is not associated with the Washington Capitals; Monumental Sports, the NHL, or its properties. Not even a little bit.
All original content on russianmachineneverbreaks.com is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)– unless otherwise stated or superseded by another license. You are free to share, copy, and remix this content so long as it is attributed, done for noncommercial purposes, and done so under a license similar to this one.